Hii ladies…So we are having an awesome time flirting with the rains but now is the time to get a little health conscious too. I am sure our taste buds have got used to the awesome crunchy-munchy spicy snacks but lets try some healthy munching also .
Lets make a salad. We would use all the rainbow colours and brown rice. Brown rice is not only healthy, filling and good in proteins but also has a nice texture which gives the salad its base.
Ingredients for Brown Rice Salad with Nuts
- ¾ cup of cooked brown rice
- 1-2 cups shredded red cabbage, depending on how much crunch you like
- 1 cup of red, green and yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced (if white available add white onion)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (red or orange anyone is ok)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves (instead can use mint leaf or celery or basil)
- ¼ cup diced leafy onions
- ½ cup cashew halves or peanuts or pistachios (walnuts are best if you like the taste)
- Optional: 1 cup chickpeas or any other sprouts you prefer
- Fresh lime
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup all peanut butter (hummus or ranch or thousand island)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cook brown rice in an open pan. After the rice gets cooked rinse it with cold water
- To make dressing: Add hummus or any other substitute and honey to a microwave safe bowl; heat in microwave for 20 seconds. Add in ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and both sesame and olive oil and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the above mix to the brown rice. Always start out with a little bit of dressing and gradually add more according to your taste
- Next add peppers, onions, cabbage, carrots, and mint leaf or their substitutes into the brown rice. Garnish with cashews, peanuts or pistachios and green onions. Serve chilled or at room temperature.