This six yard long piece of flirtatious flowing cloth which has its own mood, listens to no one, flows and slips and turns and moves on its own tunes. You cannot enslave it but you can definitely befriend it. Once you are in her good books she can turn you into a princess, flaunt your curves hide your flaws and you can look as if you are ready to hit the ramp. The most important thing is how you handle this piece of cloth. The way you treat it, it makes you look the same. In simpler words draping the sari is important. Different styles give you different outcomes. You can look tall, thin, short, fat, elegant, clumsy, old and untidy or hot and happening. A sari can make you look like an executive as well as sultry depending upon what you choose to wear.
So a sari needs to be taken seriously and draped properly to have a perfect look. Pleats should be made neatly, in proper size and sequence and should be tucked in properly.
Now ladies don’t get afraid or think otherwise. Just few steps and there you are gorgeous, young and happening.
You should keep few things in mind and you are ready to rock.
1. The fabric of your sari decides how you will look. Depending on your body type you should choose the fabric. Like Stiff cotton sari will make you look heavy. So if you are overweight then avoid cottons
2. The Patterns and printing on the sari should also be considered. Like if you are Pear shaped or on heavier side you should avoid big and large print or horizontal prints. You should rather go for small prints and the vertical patterns this will make you look taller and thinner. Hence, this should be preferred by women who are short as well.
3. The color of the sari should not be just decided depending upon your skin tone but also your body type. If you are on heavier side you should always go for dark colours or a shaded sari which would distract the attention from the key zone areas like bust, waist and hips.
4. The kind of work on the sari is also important. The saying “All that shines is not gold” works well here. All that is beautiful or artistic would not necessarily suit you. And you would land up looking a big bouquet of flower. If you are slim then heavy work will be best for you, if you are overweight than light work is suitable for you.
5. These days a sari alone does not gives you a complete look but the blouse and the underskirt for the sari plays a very important role. Blouses give the glamour to the sari. A simple sari with glamorous blouse is much better than a heavy beautiful sari with a laid back blouse. The neckline, the sleeves cut, fitting, tangles, embroidery, sequins etc. make the blouse attractive and gives women the look she desires for. So while selecting the blouse be careful and select it depending on your bust, back and shoulder type. Give more attention to your assets like bust or back or neck or shoulders or arms. Blouse can be in contrast, of different fabric from sari or same colour it depending on your age and body type.
6. The underskirt is also important as to how your lower body will look like. These days we have satin, georgette, brocade, shimmer, silk with different cuts and styles to give the proper effect. The below picture is a Manish Malhotra creation he has layered his sheer black sari over a red metallic ghagara.
7. One more thing that adds magic to your perfect 10 dress up is accessories. But it also depends upon the occasion. You can wear one sari in different occasions just with the change in accessories.
Now comes the most basic and important thing that is choosing sari according to your body type
1. If you are a tall women that’s an asset for you for wearing a sari but that doesn’t mean you want to look like a giant. You should go for a sari with bold colors, large prints and broad & heavy borders, as it will not let you look all the more tall. Large prints will also make you look a little shorter. Fabrics like cotton, silk, raw silk are the best for you. You can also go for sheer with net or lace and heavy border gives you a slim and gorgeous look. Contrast looks are in these days.
2. If you are a below average height you should keep one important tip in mind, choose the sari which will appear to give you length. Like a sari with small borders or no borders, vertical prints and light colours. Chiffon, georgette, shimmer, crepes and soft silk saris are good for short people. Go for darker shades. Always go for the style which fits you closely this gives you a slimmer look.
3. If you are a slim and skinny women that doesn’t mean you don’t have to care. Trust me you can look as disastrous as any other body type woman. You have to always choose a heavier Sari made from heavier fabrics like Cotton, Silk, Brocade, Designer Sari etc. Embroidered Saris with heavy zari and other work also make a woman more beautiful and gorgeous. If you are going for printed Sari you need to choose large prints or designer prints with larger designs. You can try new trendy heavily Embellished Lehenga Style Saris, Tissue Saris, Organza Saris, Tussar Saris and Kancheepuram Silk Saris as these also suits for their slim body type. But you should avoid Chiffon, Georgette and Crepe Saris as they will make you look skinnier and slimmer. No restriction on colors for you.
4. If you are Short and Slim Women you should go for Sari with thin border which will give you both volume and length.
5. If you are Short Heighted but with a dusky skin tone women you should go for beautiful dark clouds like shocking pink, greys, maroon, emerald green or contrast like whites, off-white, creams etc.
6. If you are a Voluptuous Busty Women Chiffons, Georgettes and Silk Saris are your best friends they will highlight the natural voluptuous and curvaceous body figure beautifully. They will stick to your curves and will not make you look bulkier than you are.
Now is to consider our complexion. As our complexion plays an important role in choosing the right colour. 1. If you are a snow white fair with pale complexion you should always go for bright colours like light pink, yellows, peaches. Bottom like my snow white you can experiment with colours.
2. If you are as beautiful as princess jasmine of deserts having Dark or Tan or Dusky complexion you should go for saris in dark pink, dark purple, maroon, green or completely contrast colors for example white, off white, etc. don’t feel bad about your skin as this is the trend of the generation; As you look more appealing than snow white. Go for minimal jewelry. Light color saris with small floral prints with simple accessories will also do well.
Saris are one of the most venerable outfit for women, the best things about the sari is that they are suitable for all occasion right from your board rooms, conference halls, travel, cocktail parties to weddings.
Sari could be worn for any occasion and any time of day but with slight different tadka (Flavor) every time.
1. If you are dressing up for a wedding party you should go for a Sari with gives a rich look, has most intrinsic embroidery and work. Kancheepuram, Mysore, Sambhalpuri and Banarsi Saris would be the best sari for and wedding and party. Also brocade, crepes, laces with heavy embellishment and borders also look good.
2. If you have to wear a Sari for any daytime event or party or function you should avoid dark colors except black color, light color saris not only look good but are soothing for eyes like light green, light yellow, cream color, peach, light blue. Printed daters are best option for day time like a white sari or cream with some designs and beautiful prints. Lace can also work with nice fitted blouses.
3. For evening and night function like wedding party and other functions the sari with rich look and heavy embroidery and zari work are suitable. You can also go for classy cocktail saris with smart cuts and blouse patterns like jackets, cholis, koti, chudi sleeves, boat necks, backless etc.
4. If you are travelling for conferences and meetings, sari is most elegant piece. Go for Light weight and synthetic saris as they are better for travelling & outing since they are more manageable and comfortable. A sari with light colors, light embroidery, and small prints is ok but avoid dark colors, large prints and heavy embroidery & zari work. In office you should pinup your sari as it will be more manageable and comfortable for you.
After you are ready for the affair stand in front of your mirror and ask “Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the sexiest of them all ” and I am sure you will hear this “you my most beautiful princess no one is as elegant as you ”